Sunday, May 31, 2009

Soldier mail: a letter to Bert.



I found this WW I postcard in a box of older letters, stamps and other postcards in our attic. Most were addressed to a Bert Burggess of San Francisco. Many of the cards date back to the early 1900s and are almost 100 years old. This card is from a a WW I soldier in the Army named Fred,who is a cousin of Bert. He writes:
----
Somewhere in France
November 16, 1918

Dear Bert:
I'll try and drop you a card as I haven't got any paper at present. The weather is fine here at present. I like the place where we are staying. It is on a ranch. The French people sure like the Americans.
Did you send my trunk away yet? How is Louis and the Pope family? Tell all Hello from me. I have got about a dozen letters to write. Suppose you got the card saying I arrived across OK. I only send one to you and one to Lavina.
Well I don't suppose you want to get this before Thanksgiving but when you're at Xmas dinner just think of me.
I'll close, best wishes to all from Fred.
---

No comments: