Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Goodbye Ursuline High School

130 years and more than 4,400 graduates later, Ursuline High School of Santa Rosa will close at the end of this school year.

I'm an Ursuline grad (class of '84) and I am absolutely stunned at this news. Like some high school girls I couldn't wait to graduate and go off to college and FREEDOM. But over the years I have come to appreciate what Ursuline gave me. A safe learning environment, small classes, dedicated teachers. A faith-based education. As I wrote in a letter to the Press Democrat today, this is a loss for everyone: students, teachers, alumnae, supporters, staff and the community as a whole. These young women are the top students in the area. What will become of them now? And where will the next generation find an education like what we received at Ursuline?

I think I took it for granted Ursuline would always be there. Maybe that was a mistake we all made.



Ursuline High School to close
Ursuline closure ends 130-year education history

No comments: