Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Bad columnist!

Here is one reader's response to my column about taking a group of girls to Monterey. In my column I admit that I got a "free" breakfast for our girls at our hotel when I told the hostess the girls were 12, instead of 13.

Hi Jennifer,

I wanted to comment on your "Making Waves" column, but didn't want to chance causing you discomfort by writing a public letter to the editor. I was disappointed that in your youth leadership role where you have huge opportunity teach kids to do the right thing and model high ethical standards, you chose to teach them that it is okay to lie to get something for free. And then, with an air of 'look at what I got away with" to share the experience with the entire community. And we wonder why many kids think it is okay to cheat on tests, lie when it is convenient, not consider the impact of their actions on others.

The morals, ethics and daily practices of our youth will be determined by what their adult role models teach them by words and ACTIONS. My suggestion: Take the opportunity to make this a learning experience. Talk about it with the kids, have another fund raiser and send money to cover the meal cost to the restaurant. This is the kind of leadership the kids will remember for a long time.

Lastly, thank you for taking the time to volunteer. It sounds like you have helped those girls have some great experiences.

~Carolyn


My fellow columnist Michelle gets cranky letters now and then but this is the first time a reader has voiced so strong an opinion. I kindly thanked her for her comment and agreed that teaching our children to lie is not something I advocate. Bad columnist!

No comments: